What is the VITA Program?
The VITA Program at United Way Monterey County is focused on assisting families who earn less than $54,000 a year prepare their taxes for free! It is a program that is provided by the IRS, and run by your local United Way and volunteers! This program is unique, because our volunteers learn a valuable skill while also helping members of the community receive reliable tax counseling in a community setting.
What are the Benefits of Filing with Us?
The IRS SPEC Program and United Way Monterey County work together to connect you with qualified, comitted VITA volunteers.
Because our tax sites are staffed by IRS trained volunteers, there is no cost to YOU, the taxpayer.
Our return process includes three stages of quality control to ensure each taxpayer receives secure, reliable service.
By filing with us, you are helping local community volunteers to gain valuable experience that enables them to gain job skills.
Where are the Tax Sites Located?
Free tax sites open the first week of February, and run until April 15, 2016.
Remember to bring:
All tax forms from 2015 (W2’s, 1099’s, 1098’s, etc.), social security cards for all family members on return, photo ID, a blank check for direct deposit.
>Regular Weekly Sites: Income must be less than $54,000 in 2015
- Hartnell College (411 Central Ave, B-110 Salinas, CA): Every Monday from 6:00pm-9:00pm
- CET Salinas (421 Monterey St. Salinas, CA): Every Tuesday from 5:30pm-8:00pm
- Cesar Chavez Library (615 Williams Rd. Salinas, CA): Every Friday from 10:00am-1:00pm
- Salinas One Stop (730 La Guardia, Salinas, CA): Every Saturday from 9:00am-12:00pm
- Seaside One Stop (1760 Fremont St. D2 Seaside, CA): Every Saturday from 9:00am-12:00pm
- Soledad CET (930 Los Coches Rd. Soledad, CA): Every Saturday from 9:00am-1:00pm
- Salvation Army (2460 N. Main St. Salinas, CA): Every Saturday from 1:00pm-4:00pm
>Alternating Weekly Sites: Income must be less than $54,000 in 2015
- Marina Library (188 Seaside Ave, Marina, CA): Every Other Saturday [Feb 13, Feb 27, March 12, March 26, April 9th] 11:00am-2:00pm
- Monterey Peninsula College (980 Fremont Street, BMC 206, Monterey, CA): Every Other Thurs [Feb: 4, 18, March 3, 17, 31, April 14] 6:00pm-9:00pm
>MyFreeTaxes: Income must be less than $62,000 in 2015
- Free Online Software Link: http://www.unitedway.org/myfreetaxes/
- This is software is created by H&R Block, and managed by United Way Worldwide.
- Free for Federal and State under the AGI limit.
- Great for taxpayers who don't want to wait in line, have an easy return, or who just like to do their taxes online.
- Qualified tax preparers are available though their toll free number to assist taxpayers who are filing online: 1-855-MY-TX-HELP (1-855-698-9435)
- Tip: If you need to use a computer to file online, visit Goodwill Central Coast employment office Monday-Friday, 10:00am-5:00pm. Address: 1325 N. Main St. Salinas, CA