What is the VITA Program?
The VITA Program at United Way Monterey County is focused on assisting families who earn less than $54,000 a year prepare their taxes for free! It is a program that is provided by the IRS, and run by your local United Way and volunteers! This program is unique, because our volunteers learn a valuable skill while also helping members of the community receive reliable tax counseling in a community setting.
What are the Benefits of Filing with Us?
The IRS SPEC Program and United Way Monterey County work together to connect you with qualified, comitted VITA volunteers.
Because our tax sites are staffed by IRS trained volunteers, there is no cost to YOU, the taxpayer.
Our return process includes three stages of quality control to ensure each taxpayer receives secure, reliable service.
By filing with us, you are helping local community volunteers to gain valuable experience that enables them to gain job skills.
What are the Benefits of Volunteering with Us?
United Way Monterey County seeks to connect you with a meaningful volunteer opportunity every year through VITA.
We recruit committed volunteers like YOU, who are interested in serving the community while gaining skills that help you stay competetive in the job market.
Each year, we look to fill the following volunteer positions & provide training to help volunteers become certified for the tax season.
Volunteer Tax Preparers (32 hour training + 24 hours of service)
Volunteer Quality Review Specialists (32 hour training + 24 hours of service)
Volunteer Greeters & Screeners (2 hour training + 24 hours of service)
Volunteer Site Assistants (32 hour training + 24 hours of service)
VITA Program Internships (2 hour training + 24 hours of service)
Interested in volunteering with us for the 2017 tax season?
Please send an e-mail to our program manager, Aranyani Azevedo: email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from you!
Where are the Tax Sites Located?
Our free tax sites will open during the first week of February, and run until April 15, 2017.
Remember to bring: All tax forms from 2015 (W2’s, 1099’s, 1098’s, etc.), social security cards for all family members on return, photo ID, a blank check for direct deposit.
>Regular Weekly Sites: (Income limits apply)
- Hartnell College (411 Central Ave, B-110 Salinas, CA)
- CET Salinas (421 Monterey St. Salinas, CA)
- Cesar Chavez Library (615 Williams Rd. Salinas, CA)
- Salinas One Stop (730 La Guardia, Salinas, CA)
- Seaside One Stop (1760 Fremont St. D2 Seaside, CA)
- Soledad CET (930 Los Coches Rd. Soledad, CA)
- Salvation Army (2460 N. Main St. Salinas, CA)
>Alternating Weekly Sites:
- Marina Library (188 Seaside Ave, Marina, CA):
- Monterey Peninsula College (980 Fremont Street, BMC 206, Monterey, CA)
>MyFreeTaxes: Income must be less than $62,000 in 2015
- File online for free with MyFree Taxes Software (AVAILABLE ALL YEAR)
- This is software is created by H&R Block, and managed by United Way Worldwide.
- Free for Federal and State under the AGI limit.
- Great for taxpayers who don't want to wait in line, have an easy return, or who just like to do their taxes online.
- Qualified tax preparers are available though their toll free number to assist taxpayers who are filing online: 1-855-MY-TX-HELP (1-855-698-9435)
- Tip: If you need to use a computer to file online, visit Goodwill Central Coast employment office Monday-Friday, 10:00am-5:00pm. Address: 1325 N. Main St. Salinas, CA