What is VITA?
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) at United Way Monterey County is focused on putting more money into the pockets of working families. VITA offers FREE Tax Prep for families and individuals who earned less than $54,000 in 2016! VITA Volunteers are trained and certified by the IRS and focused on helping people claim all the credits for which they are eligible. Volunteers learn a valuable skill while providing the community with reliable tax counseling.
What are the Benefits of Filing with Us?
Our goal is to make sure you get your FULL refund, and walk away feeling confident! When you visit one of our VITA sites, you can count on us to provide the highest quality service and information about your personal income taxes. Our volunteers have been IRS trained, and are ready to provide reliable tax counseling to families, individuals, and some small business owners. There are TWO ways to file with us: Online using our FREE software (myfreetaxes.com), or in person at one of our ten tax sites throughout Monterey County. If you are working and earn under $54,000 a year, please see our list below for times and locations.
Where Can YOU Get Your Taxes Done?
Our free tax sites will open February 1st, and run until April 18, 2017.
>Online : MyFreeTaxes
- File online for free with MyFree Taxes Software (AVAILABLE ALL YEAR)
- This is software is created by H&R Block, and managed by United Way Worldwide.
- Free for Federal and State under the AGI limit.
- Great for taxpayers who don't want to wait in line, have an easy return, or who just like to do their taxes online.
- Qualified tax preparers are available through their toll free number to assist taxpayers who are filing online: 1-855-MY-TX-HELP (1-855-698-9435)
- Tip: If you need to use a computer to file online, visit Goodwill Central Coast employment office Monday-Friday, 10:00am-5:00pm. Address: 1325 N. Main St. Salinas, CA
>In-Person: Tax Sites
Come prepared! Please bring your social security cards for all dependents & taxpayers, as well as your photo ID and tax forms.
ITIN holders are welcome!
980 Fremont St, Monterey, CA 93940 (Business Math and Science Building, Room 206)
2460 N Main St, Salinas, CA 93906
930 Los Coches Rd, Soledad, CA 93960
Saturdays 9:00am- 1:00pm until 3/4/2017
32101 McCoy Rd, Soledad, CA 93960
Saturdays 9:00am- 1:00pm opening 3/11/2017
116 Broadway St, King City, CA 93930
Tuesday evenings 5:30pm – 8:30pm on 2/7 & 2/21/2017, 3/7 & 3/21/2017 & 4/4 & 4/11/2017.
Marina Library-- Marina
188 Seaside Ave, Marina, CA 93933
Saturday 11:00am. – 2:00 pm opening on 2/11/2017
Feb 11,Feb 25th, March 11th, March 25th, April 8th, April 15th, 2017
Monterey Peninsula College-- Monterey
980 Fremont St, Monterey, CA 93940
Building BMC Room 206
Thursdays from 5:30pm – 8:30pm