For the sixth year Stuff the Bus, a service of United Way Monterey County, is collecting school supplies to send children who are homeless or near homeless back to school ready to learn! Stuff the Bus eases the financial burden of struggling families by providing a backpack with all the required supplies. It's more than a backpack, it promotes learning and helps kids stay in school. Impact Monterey County (IMC) survey data shows how important Stuff the Bus is in helping students to achieve a fulfilling, successful future. IMC surveys show that:
- 87% of surveyed youth stated that they want to continue their education after high school
- Youth residents across Monterey County cite cost as the number one barrier to achieving an education, as well as cite scholarships and financial aid as the number one way their community can support them in achieving an education
- The top 10 career goals for youth across Monterey County require a college degree or trade certificate
- 62% of Monterey County adults surveyed were the parents or guardians of a K-12 child
- When thinking about the future of their children, 98% of surveyed Monterey County residents want their child to attend college and achieve an AA degree or higher
- A large percentage of youth respondents stated that they don’t know what level of education they would like to achieve in the future, but no youth respondents stated that they would like to achieve less than an AA or the equivalent trade certificate
To help set a child up for success, grab a shopping list and drop off supplies at one of United Way's many donation sites. Last day to drop off supplies at a site is Wednesday, July 27th. Or let us shop for you! $20 buys a fully-stocked backpack and you can donate online. Last day to make an online donation is July 20th.
Can't make a donation? No problem! Give your time and volunteer to help Stuff the Bus.