Stuff the Bus Gets Kids Ready to Learn!
What is Stuff the Bus?
Stuff the Bus is an initiative of United Way Monterey County focused on helping send vulnerable students around Monterey County back to school ready to learn. Vulnerable students include homeless and foster youth who frequently underperform in school due to the stress of unstable households. In 2014, there were over 5,865 students living in homeless or near homeless conditions. Stuff the Bus collects donated school supplies to help those students go to school with increased confidence and with the supplies needed to perform successfully in the classroom.
How does it work?
Backpacks are distributed to students through the Homeless Liaison for each district in partnership with the Monterey County Office of Education. Liaisons ensure that the backpacks go to the children with the most need.
2014 Stuff the Bus....A Success!
- In 2014, there were over 5,865 students living in homeless or near homeless conditions.
- 49 Sites collected backpacks for students in need.
- 1,820 Backpacks were collected and distributed throughout schools in Salinas, Monterey Peninsula and Sounty County.
- 115 Volunteers added to the success of each students start of the year by stuffing backpacks with school supplies.
- Thank you for helping United Way Monterey County ensure each backpack had the supplies needed for the success of students in need.
|Stuff the Bus Sponsors||In-Kind Support|
Make sure your child goes back to school ready to learn
UWMC Tax ID Number: 94-1322169.