Don't Let FREE Tax Prep Pass You By. Make VITA Your Next Stop!
There are TWO ways to file:
United Way's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance service (VITA) is focused on putting more money into the pockets of working families. IRS-trained volunteers offer FREE Tax Prep for families and individuals who earned less than $56,000 in 2019! Our goal is to make sure you get your FULL refund, claim all your eligible credits, and learn to use taxes to grow your assets! You can count on VITA to provide the highest quality tax service to families, individuals, and some small business owners.
Did you make more than $56,000? You can still file your taxes for free with MyFreeTaxes.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer tax preparer, find more information here.
Volunteer Education and College Assistance Alliance (VECAA)
In partnership with the Hartnell College, UWMC will administer the VECAA program to increase Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and Dream Act applications of high school students throughout Monterey County. FAFSA not only gives students access to the aid, but it allows students and families to find a better path toward college affordability and earning a degree. However, very few high school seniors complete FAFSA applications. Between 2016 and 2018, less than half of the eligible students entering Hartnell College completed the FASFA applications.
Application completions will occur at the VITA sites across Monterey County through February 2020. Between October 2019 and February 2020, VECAA program staff and volunteers will hold other events to provide application support. The events will include parent-teacher conferences and parent engagement groups. View the program flyer here.
California Earned Income Tax (CalEITC) is a cash back tax credit that puts money back into the pockets of California’s working families and individuals. In its first year, CalEITC boosted the income of about 385,000 families, who shared almost $200 million from the cash-back credit. CalEITC gives working families the chance to get ahead. Studies show that young children in households that receive the EITC do better in school, are more likely to attend college and earn more, brightening the future of the next generation. Families earning up to $25,000 can get a BONUS of up to $6,500 and keep their full refund! Even if you don’t qualify for the full $6,500, you deserve to have the credit you earned. Think of the difference this extra cash can make for you and your family. Help spread the word with our bilingual flyer or payroll stuffers.
|Number of Qualifying Children||CA Maximum Income||CalEITC (up to)||IRS EITC (up to)|
|3 or more||$30,000||$2,982||$6,557|
24 E. Alvin Dr., Salinas, CA 93906
Tuesday; 02/04 thru 04/14; 5:30p.m.–8:30p.m.
930 Los Coches Dr., Ste 101, Soledad, CA 93960
Saturday; 02/01 thru 04/11; 9:00a.m.–2:00p.m.
411 Central Ave., Salinas, CA 93901
Thursday; 02/06 thru 04/09; 6:30p.m.–8:30p.m.
1752 E. Alisal St., Salinas, CA 93905
Saturday; 02/01 thru 04/11; 9:00a.m.–12:00p.m.
Closed 2/15 & 3/21
11160 Speegle St., Castroville, CA 95012
Thursday; 02/13, 02/27, 03/12, 03/26, 04/02, 04/09; 5:30p.m.–8:30p.m.
190 Seaside Cir., Marina, CA 93933
Saturday; 02/08, 02/22, 03/07, 03/21, 04/04, 04/11 11:00a.m.–2:00p.m.
980 Fremont St., Monterey, CA 93940
Thursday; 02/06 thru 04/09 5:30p.m.–8:30p.m.
289 12th St., Marina, CA 93933
Wednesday; 02/05, 02/19, 03/04, 03/18, 04/01, 04/15; 5:30p.m.–8:30p.m.
615 Williams Rd., Salinas, CA 93905
Friday; 02/07 thru 04/10 10:00a.m.–3:00p.m.
2200 Noche Buena St., Seaside, CA 93955
Saturday; 02/01 thru 04/11, 9:00a.m.–1:00p.m.
Closed 3/21 & 3/28
307 S. Main St., Ste 100, Salinas, CA 93901
Monday thru Thursday; 02/03 thru 04/15 9:00a.m.–4:00p.m.
Drop Off Location Only
For more than a decade, United Way has helped people easily and accurately file their federal and state taxes through MyFreeTaxes. Since 2009:
- More than 1.2 million people have used MyFreeTaxes, bringing over $1.7 billion in refunds back to our local communities.
- MyFreeTaxes has helped individuals and households save $250 million in filing fees.
- MyFreeTaxes has been powered by H&R Block’s e-filing software to expand free filing.
MyFreeTaxes is a free and easy way for anyone of any income to file simple returns:
- Users can file simple federal and up to three simple state returns for free.
- Simple tax situations covered for free in MyFreeTaxes include: W-2 income; limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV; student education expenses, credits or student loan interest; unemployment income; claiming the standard deduction; EITC; child tax credits; child and dependent care expenses.
- Unfortunately, MyFreeTaxes no longer provides a free return to filers who are self-employed. Selfemployed filers will need to report all of their income and expenses on a Schedule C form, which is not included in the MyFreeTaxes software.
- If you are self-employed, and wish to use MyFreeTaxes to file your taxes, you will only be charged $24.99 for a federal return and $18.50 for each state return (a 50% discount).
- You can easily file your taxes using MyFreeTaxes.com from your mobile phone, tablet or computer. It’s easy to use; just upload a picture of your W-2 to autofill your information. It guides you through the process to guarantee you get your maximum refund.
- Most filers complete their taxes in under one hour and save an average of $200 in fees by using MyFreeTaxes instead of a paid tax preparer