Gain a Skill, Change a Life.
Why Volunteer with VITA:
- FREE IRS tax law training and certification
- Develop a life-long skill
- Hands-on tax preparation experience
- Professional reference for your resume
- Flexible hours and convenient locations
Sign up to be a Volunteer Income Tax Preparer
This year’s training dates:
- Basic training: November 2, 9, 16, 23 at CSUMB
- Advanced training: December 7, 14, 21 at CSUMB
- January Basic Training: January 4, 11, 18, 25 at Hartnell College
- January Advanced Training: January 4, 11, 18, 25 at Hartnell College
- Online Training Available
Volunteer Education and College Assistance Alliance (VECAA)
In partnership with the Hartnell College, UWMC will administer the VECAA program to increase Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and Dream Act applications of high school students throughout Monterey County. FAFSA not only gives students access to the aid, but it allows students and families to find a better path toward college affordability and earning a degree. However, very few high school seniors complete FAFSA applications. Between 2016 and 2018, less than half of the eligible students entering Hartnell College completed the FASFA applications.
Application completions will occur at the VITA sites across Monterey County through February 2020. Between October 2019 and February 2020, VECAA program staff and volunteers will hold other events to provide application support. The events will include parent-teacher conferences and parent engagement groups. View the program flyer here.
- Our volunteers can help tax payers capture special tax credits for which they may qualify for. Such as Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled.
- Many volunteers return year after year because they find the experience very rewarding and see immediate benefit.
- Volunteer Tax Preparers: Beginners (32 hour training + 24 hours of service- perfect for beginners)
- Volunteer Tax Preparers: Advanced (24 hour training + 24 hours of service- accelerated class for experienced volunteers)
- Customer Greeters & Document Screeners (2 hour training + 24 hours of service- customer service based classes for anyone)
- Financial Aid Volunteer: Support students and parents in completing the FASFA and California Dream Act applications.
For questions and more information, please contact Helena Virga