Donate Stock

Donating appreciated securities, including stocks or bonds, is an easy and tax-effective way for you to make a gift to United Way Monterey County.

stock giving

Benefits of gifts of stocks and bonds

  • Avoid paying capital gains tax on the sale of appreciated stock
  • Receive a charitable income tax deduction
  • Further our mission today

How to make a gift of stocks and bonds

If you would like to make a gift of stock to United Way Monterey County, we would be happy to provide stock transfer instructions to you. It is a simple, straightforward process.  

  1. You can call or write to your broker, and ask your broker to initiate a "broker to broker" transfer. You would instruct your broker to donate the stock directly to UWMC.
  2. United Way would provide you with the name of our brokerage firm, the brokerage firm’s DTC number, the account name and number, and the telephone number and name of the broker contact at the firm.
  3. Your broker can then transfer the securities directly to the United Way Monterey County's account. It is important that the securities be transferred to United Way's account prior to being sold in order to avoid capital gains taxation.

More on gifts of stocks and bonds

There are special rules for valuing a gift of stock. The value of a charitable gift of stock is determined by taking the mean between the high and low stock price on the date of the gift. Mutual fund shares are valued using the closing price for the fund on the date of the gift.

Contact us

For questions, contact Lynda Patrick, VP Resource Development; or call (831) 318-1973.